RE: Getting a car over the internet, was: URGENT! How do I check non-run

To: "Thomas Carney" <gt6plus@gis.net>
Subject: RE: Getting a car over the internet, was: URGENT! How do I check non-running Spitfire?
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@netusa1.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 17:29:08 -0500
Tom,
Actually, that's the point.  The honesty of the seller.  I don't believe
mine was.  I even had a couple of pictures sent.  It's amazing how good you
can make a car look by careful cropping and from the right angles.  The
thing that ticked me off the most was the fact that after I got there, and
sending a deposit check, there was no title.  I did do a police check and
the car was not a stolen vehicle, but when I asked for the title, the said
"what, we never said we had a title"  Now I'm stuck with parting it out or
selling it as a no title parts car.  Sure I did get the car for the deposit
only (I think the deposit was $350) and the car is restorable, but the car
was grossly misrepresented.  I wasted an entire day picking it up, when I
wouldn't have bought it here in town without the title.  The
misrepresentations were bad as well.  A sellers definition of "little rust"
and "complete" and a buyers definition are far between.  Especially when the
seller is intentionally being less than honest.  I will never ever buy a car
over the internet again without a lister or other trusted party checking it
out for me.  I'm glad you had a positive experience.  Mine wasn't.  At least
I know what questions to ask now :)

Bill