Re: Scavenger hunt

To: John Knox <jknox@hcsd.iu5.org>
Subject: Re: Scavenger hunt
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 07:40:07 -0700
I hate to say it, but when I was in college, our local sports car club
would occasionally have a scavenger hunt as a club event.  I recall such
things as: a Mercedes Star and a Rolls-Royce Hood ornament being among
the items that were listed.

However, Stealing was highly frowned upon for these events.  Although
there were several Mercedes hubcaps that showed up, I never did see a
silver lady in the collection of goodies.  (THey were all returned to
their rightful owners when the event was over)

Joe

John Knox wrote:

> That sounds kind of interesting.  It makes me wonder if they are using a list
>that
> has been handed down for a few years.  Maybe a fraternity, flight school or
> something like that.  Collecting british car parts would have been easy 20 or
>30
> years ago when they were ubiquitous, and many of the parts would have been
>falling
> off anyway.  However now they aren't and the parts are getting scarce.  It
>might
> be worth hunting around to find out, or have the police ask around.  It seems
>that
> a large group activity, done in fun (moronic as it might be) would be
>huntable.
> Pressure them to solve the crime or ask the DA to help, if not ask the Mayors
> office or city council.  Seems if it happened on a military base it would be
>easy
> to get someone's ear.  Investigations like this are hard to get going, but
>once
> started take on a life of their own.  I would hazard that the police might
>have a
> pretty good idea of who is doing this after so many years.  If they knew how
> valuable, the parts were they might help.  Remember to include the search
>time for
> a part like this.  What would you charge per hour to track down parts?  Maybe
>that
> bumper overrider is worth $500.00.

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer