Re: Engine Transplant Questions

To: "craig skitt" <caskitt@hotmail.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Transplant Questions
From: "Phil Johnson" <spitfire.man@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 18:45:59 -0000
Craig,

Not the easiest of conversions to carry out due to the Sprint engine being
on a slant, causing problems with the suspension turrets perhaps? Quoting
from the TriumphTune catalogue on engine swaps for the GT6/Vitesse/2000
saloon:

"The TR7 8/16 valve 2 litre engines can be installed but would require a
special hand made exhaust manifold to clear the chassis frame. Gearbox would
be standard GT6 with Dolomite 1850 bellhousing, although this would require
some adaptation as to the position of the assembly in the body/chassis.

On...the above conversion, it is essential to be careful as regards the
suspension and the braking."

Essentially, IMHO, the mechanicals of fitting the engine are quite
straightforward, but the adaptation of the body and chassis would make it
quite difficult. Another thing to bear in mind is the cost of parts for
Sprint  engines - dizzy caps at 50UKP, lead sets NLA etc.

Best of luck
==
Phil Johnson
Club Triumph (UK) Spitfire/GT6 Secretary
http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/

66 Spitfire4 Mk2 FC73949
77 TR7 ACG15216
77 TR7 ACG10378A Ongoing Sprint Conversion