left handed drill bit

To: spitlist <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: left handed drill bit
From: "John Knox" <jknox@hcsd.iu5.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:21:21 -0500
Northern tool used to sell them, haven't looked in awhile to see if they
still
do, and most places that carry tools will sell them.  They aren't as
uncommon as
you might think.  They work really well in this type of situation.  My
father is
a machinist, and I always got mine from him.  Just center punch the
bolt, then
drill out.  I second the advice on the easy outs,.  They work ok, but do
not put
any kind of a side load on them.  They snap super easy.  I've never
tried the
snap on style.  I actually had better luck with the super cheap Buffalo
Tools
brand easy out.  They were not as hardened, and seemed to take a side
load
better.  They are only good for one use though.  They get pretty
deformed in the
process of removal.

Can I also recomend driling a small pilot hole through the center of the
bolt,
and then going to a larger drill bit.  If you have a second person to
keep
checking the drill allignment you can often do a good job of drilling
down the
center.

As a last resort go to a size that will just eat out the threads.  THis
has to
be done with a pilot hole as the drill will walk off the bolt into the
softer
material around it.  Best done as the third hole in the series.  Use
really
sharp drill bits and go slow.