Busted manifold stud (continued)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Busted manifold stud (continued)
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 11:32:42 EST
My apologies, Half this message went out before I had finished writing.

Having moved upstream from the shot catalytic converter toward the cracked
exhaust manifold, I have been locked in combat with the manifold studs and
nuts. Most of the upper nuts/studs came free with the usual applications of
liquid wrench, but the front lower nut would not budge (haven't even gotten
to the miserable, shrouded, inaccessible, inner two long nuts yet). So, I
applied heat to the front nut. It turned, it turned again, and then...it
broke (many expletives-deleted).

So, it's drill-out time. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has been
here and done this with these studs, in particular. I don't expect that an
Easy-out will serve here, as frozen as these little #^&%@*'s are. I have
never had to clear or tap such a hole before and, given the location, success
is critical. Your suggestions are much appreciated. Also, if anyone has a
magic solution or tool for those shrouded inner nuts, I would love to hear
it. (That engine swap angle sounds better all the time.)

TIA

Tom Burke
80 Spitfire (one step forward, two steps back)