Re: Cataclysmic Converter

To: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Subject: Re: Cataclysmic Converter
From: John Weale <jweale@eskimo.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 18:39:52 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Atwell Haines wrote:
> At 06:17 PM 11/20/99 EST, Tburke4@aol.com wrote:
> >
> >Hi folks,
> >
>  >>My question is: Has anyone
> >successfully mounted a "universal" CC or found any other creative solutions
> >for replacing the CC. >>
> http://www.discountconverter.com/converters/triumph/index.htm
>
> Spit converters are currently listed for $153 USD.

        I'm in the process of putting one of these on my spit.  Not
original, but cheap and (hopefully) good enough.  Looks like it'll fit
just fine.  A few notes: mine came without studs, so you'll need 3 5/16"
(I think -- smaller than stock) studs.  The pipe necks down a little bit
in the bend, but if you're sticking a cat in there, you shouldn't be
bothered by that. And the little lip on the top that the manifold to cat
gasket goes over isn't there.

> If the carb is OK (stock was a Zenith-Stromberg 150 CDE) the car will
> easily pass the idle test with the air pump operating, even if the CC is
> shot.  Trouble is, they go bad from the carb running too rich...

        Any idea on just how quickly they go bad (if the carb is off)?
Once I get my car running again I need to get 80 miles down the road to
get the carb tuned up.  Should I worry about melting down my new cat in
the hour or two trip?

John Weale
1980 "British Racing Orange" Spitfire