Re: U-joint grease fittings

To: Walt Fogle <foglew@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: U-joint grease fittings
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 19:18:05 -0700
Walt,
My experience is that the grease zerks are either too long to leave in
because they will break off the first time the joint is flexed to its
limit, or else the zerk is too short and you can't get the grease gun
onto it in the rather small U-Joint.

Therefore, I recommend using the long nipple only to lubricate the
U-Joint and then remove it and install a plug.  Plugs can be made quite
easily by taking a bolt of the proper size and cut it off with a hack
saw.  Following that, saw a screwdriver slot in the flat end.  I did
that 3 years ago and they are still in place!

Joe

Walt Fogle wrote:

> Hello Listers:
>
> I'm rebuilding a set of used axles for a winter swap-out to my '73 Spit.
> I've read that u-joints should have a plug installed when in use and that
> the actual grease fitting is inserted only when lubing the joint.  The new
> Hardy-Spicer joints I purchased have only the grease fittings.
>
> What's the opinion/practice out there about plugs and fittings?   Any harm
> in having the fittings installed all the time?  The used axles I bought had
> one fitting and one plug installed on them.
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> Walt Fogle
> '73 Spitfire 1500

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer