driveline vibration

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: driveline vibration
From: FODFARTS@cs.com
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 21:27:32 EST
Hello,
    I am hoping someone can help me with a problem. I have a 64 Spitfire that
has a vibration in the rear end that I'm not sure of the cause. I thought it
might be a tire/wheel balance problem, but new wheels and tires and rotations
hasn't solved it. The new wheels and tires were gong on anyway and I was
hoping that they would solve two problems at once. The vibration starts at
about 40mph and intensifies if I rapidly let off the gas. I haven't had time
to raise the car and check it out but from what I can see and feel just
crawling and reaching under the car, the rear suspension is in good shape.
The tranny and diff are both smooth and silent . The car has only 46000
documented miles and is my first Spitfire so I'm a little unfamiliar with the
swing axle suspesion and it's quirks. Any info would be great. Thanks.
                                        Brad Wolfe, Springfield, MO