Greetings!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Greetings!
From: Ean Houts <ehouts@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 21:52:01 -0800
Hello, all!  I'm new to the list, but was hoping I could tap your
collective brains for suggestions on autocrossing my 79 Spit...I'm
planning on competing in H Stock in the San Francsico Region SCCA, and
am working on getting the car sorted out before the season starts in
late January.  I've searched the archives and various sites, but haven't
seen a ton of info.

The car is a white 1500 in fairly good condition.  It's actually my
wife's car, but after it sat in her dad's yard for about 8 years under a
tarp, I spent a good chunk of the summer before last getting it back
into running condition.  Now it really just needs the top, a little dash
work and some minor engine & tranny maintenance and it'll be in pretty
good shape.  It's never been in an accident, and has about 80k miles on
it.  Among other things, her dad and I put in a recurved rear spring,
new shocks, rebuilt master cylinder, rebuilt clutch cylinders, blasted &
coated the gas tank, new radiator, etc.

Has anyone on the list autoxed their Spitfire in stock class in the past
several years?

Questions -
1. What tires (size, brand, model, etc.) have people found to be
particularly sticky?
2. I read the 79 was supposed to have a something on the top of the diff
to compensate for positive camber on the swing axle - is this adequate
for autoxing, or should a camber compensator be used (like at
http://home1.gte.net/spitlist/cambercompensator.htm)?  I'm hoping to get
in there and verify the 79's plate is in place (should have looked when
I did the spring - doh!)
3. Any reccomended alignment settings?
4. Any other advice/comments/tips on autoxing a spit?

Last, my Spit as the 4 spd w/overdrive.  Right after we put it in, we
removed the drain plug (of course it was after!), and found what I can
only assume was part of the synchros - a bunch of ball bearings and
springs.  The tranny grinds going into 3rd or 4th, and when
downshifting.  Careful shifting has limited the grinding it's suffered
in the past few months (we only drive it on weekends anyway), but I
obviously need to fix this before racing it...Any suggestions on fixing
it?  I may take it to a shop, but if a good 4 speed is less expensive, I
don't mind forgoing the overdrive.  Any guesses on cost to fix it?

thanks in advance for any help!!
-Ean