Re: to those autox-ing spits

To: <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: to those autox-ing spits
From: "James Libecco" <jfl@neoucom.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 20:54:48 -0500
> James Libecco wrote:
>
> > suspension wise, I think I know where I am going for now.  its just
getting
> > the power to put the handling to the test.
>
> Jim,
> I'm curious as to where it is you are going?  There is quite a bit of
> controversy about what is the best thing to do with a 1500 rear
> suspension.  I feel like the best route is to fix the spring to the
> differential (as in early Spits), dearch the spring to 1" of arch add a
> camber compensator and uprate the shocks to Koni or Spax adjustable
> ones.  What's your take on this?

Well, first I would say that I am by no means the authority that you are on
issues such as this, but my concern really right now is that i don't have
enough power (read speed) to make my suspension work right now.  I was
having problems with my rear suspension jacking some at my first attempt,
but i attribute this to the re-arched rear spring I installed.  After I
realized that the spring was actually arched beyond orginal specs, I traded
it for a well worn spring that dropped the rear and gave me a little
negative camber.  This kept the rear end down at the next event.  As for the
camber compensator, I still am not absolutely conviced as to its
effectiveness on the last generation spits.  On earlier models I can easily
understand its importance.  So as for the camber compensator, I am in favor
of making my next set of modifications and then reaccessing the necessity of
the compensator.
    My intended changes include going to stiffer front springs, as i saw the
amount of roll the car had when a friend brought a video to me.  The stiffer
springs in the front with actually functional shocks should help to decrease
the extreme amount of oversteer that car tends to have when cornering at
speed or oversteer during quick reverses in direction.
    As for shocks, I suspect that I will end up going with the Spax shocks
due to the cost difference.  The best rates I think I have found are through
Rimmer as the package.  Any ideas or recommendations on this?
    So basically the problems are excessive body roll and oversteer.  I
think new shocks, stiffer front springs, and urethane bushings should make
the car handle even better than it already does on Yokohama A008R tires
(185X4).

The problem all comes down to 1)not enough gears for the courses that I run
and 2) not enough power to make my suspension work as it is.