Spitfire Shocks + Bushings

To: relliott@cjnetworks.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Shocks + Bushings
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougbert@rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 17:05:00 -0400
Hello,

On the bushings:  6 or 7 years ago, I did a full front-end
rebuild (except shocks) on my '72 Spit.  I got the parts kit from
British Parts NW.  Since then, the car had maybe 5000 miles of driving, and
spent most of its time in storage.  Then recently, when I started actively
driving my car again, I noticed that the lower A-arm inner bushings had
basically
disintegrated.  In fact, they were in much worse shape than the original ones I
had replaced 7 years previously.  So this time I got a set of bushings
from TRF to replace them.  I guess time will tell if they are of better quality.
I have no way to tell if the old and new parts were even made by different
manufacturers.  (I have been generally satisfied with other stuff I
have bought from British Parts NW).

I guess the moral is:  If you replace a somewhat-worn but well-made component
with a new but poorly-made one, you are not really doing your car any good.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit