A few questions for the list

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: A few questions for the list
From: "Jamie Palmer" <trfolks@excite.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:13:06 PDT
Hi, folks--

I've got a few questions for the list about my '71 Mk. IV ($833 and
counting...)

1)  On slow speed turns, with the top down, I can hear a "clicking" or light
"thumping" noise from the rear of the car.  I had the rear on jack stands
yesterday and I can feel the same vibration when slowly rotating either
halfshaft--it seems to be coming from the diff, and the frequency (at least
15-20 times per complete revolution of the halfshaft) to me rules out
u-joints (although I have to replace one of those too, but that's another
story).  Please keep in mind that this is the low-budget driver in the
family, noises and even some vibration I can put up with, but if the diff is
about to seize I need to know.  Topped off the fluid (again) while under
there, didn't need a whole lot but it's obvious that a front seal is
necessary.

2)  I'm looking for tires for the same car.  Here's where it gets a little
complicated...eventually, after a body shell replacement, I'd like to
autocross the car (for fun, not seriously) and I've put TR-7 wheels and the
larger studs on for that purpose.  The 175/70-13 tires are worn out and need
replacing...anyone got any recommendations as to a decent performance tire
in that size?  I'm not looking for BFG R1 performance, just something that's
at least a little more sticky than a "rim protector"...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jamie Palmer
'71 Spit Mk. IV (Faith)
'63 Italia 2000 (Julie)