Re: Spit turn Signals

To: "Tom Ambrose" <tambrose@tir.com>, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit turn Signals
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 11:27:57 -0400
At 11:11 AM 10/3/99 -0400, Tom Ambrose wrote:

>Hello,
>
>As I continue to sort out my '71 Spit, I'm running into some difficulty
>getting the turn signals to function. Here's the deal:
>
>The front turn signals will turn on, but not blink and the rear ones don't
>glow at all. I switched the hazard light off and on a bunch of times and for
>awhile, the dash hazard indicator light glowed, but no front or back hazard
>lights blinked. However that doesn't even glow now.
>
>Another clue: while driving at dusk, I noticed the headlights wouldn't go
>on. I rotated the fuse and they worked.
>
>Oh, the horn doesn't work, either.
>
>Finally, is the flasher on the back of the firewall 'tray' above the coil?
>Whatever it is, I took it out and cleaned the two prongs. Still, no hazard
>or turn signals.
>
>As you can tell by my questions, I don't have a grasp of either where to
>clean the connections or what to replace.

Tom,

  The turn signals problem could be that the rear turn signal bulbs are burned
out.  I'd suggest taking them out, and checking them.  This can be done with
an ohm meter, or by clip leading them to a 12v battery.

  The headlights could be a problem with the headlight switch, fuse - if it
is a fused circuit, a broken wire, or a bad ground.  You will need to find out
where you have voltage.  (You should have a schmetic - wiring diag. for the
car.  There is one available on the net on one of the fellows web pages, or
it is in most of the Spitfire repair manuals.  If you don't have a manual,
you really should get one.)

  I guess the other question should be how much do you know about electricity
and trouble shooting electrical systems.  If you need help in this area,
check out the electrical primer on my Morgan web page:

   www.team.net/www/morgan/tech

It is in the general section at the top of the page.

Hope this helps.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org