Re: Seat Belts

To: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Subject: Re: Seat Belts
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 19:16:44 -0600
Simmons, Reid W wrote:

> I am currently in the process of removing the interiors from my Spitfire for
> cleaning or replacement.  The seat belt material is rather worn and stiff
> but the retraction mechanisms and the latches that the belts plug into are
> in good shape.  Has anyone replaced theirs?  What is a good source for a
> "near exact" replacement for the belt material?

        I've done it.  Found Chrysler product belt hardware at a wreckers, took
measurements of the Spitfire's requirements then went to a seatbelt maker - for
the auto
racing industry.
        They have the "exact" replacement material, know how to fasten it to
the
retractor mechanism, and stitch it with correct thread.  They are 'street
legal', so
should be safe if ever needed.

Cheers, Fred
--