Re: Aluminum Frame-advantages

To: PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Aluminum Frame-advantages
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:58:46 PDT
Just got back from detroit for the kickoff of Future Truck 2000, and I am
reminded of how well the University of Wisconsin did last year with their
Future Car by using A LOT of aluminum in the conversion.  They started with
a ford prototype all aluminum mercury sable unibody.  Strapped in an
aluminum VW TDI with a parallel electric assist.  With batteries the
conversion weighed something like 3300lbs, unheard of for an EV/hybrid of
that size.  In comparison our lumina came in at around 4400lbs.

Ryan Smith