Re: pistons

To: Brett Soren <mr_creosote@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: pistons
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@q1.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 23:15:43 -0400
Brett Soren wrote:

> Has anyone ever put forged pistons in their 1500?  Why are they not
> recamended for street use.  Also, I've read that stock TR6 pistons are a 40
> over bore on a spit.  I guess if you put the pistons in backwards, the
> touque peak increases, can that be done with stock spitfire pistons, and has
> anyone ever done it?  Thanks.
>
> Brett
forged pistons are noisy since the clearnces needed with forged pistons
are greater than those used with cast pistons.  why do you want forged?
if you are running extremely high compression or a supercharger (or
turbo charger) the extra strength of the forged piston is needed.
running a 9.5 orso compression ratio is fine on stock pistons.  the comp
prep book shows the intall backward trick. you will probably never
notice a power gain on a street application, even a fairly serious
street engine.  the tr6/gt6 stock bore is .040" larger than the stock
spit.  instant .040" over piston.  you can build a good strong spit
engine using 9.5 cr, a decent cam, european twin 1 1/2" su's and a good
rebuild assembly. please let me know if we can help. you might also wish
to check our web page for various performance goodies. thanks, ted
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive