re: bushings

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: re: bushings
From: nib@birkeroedkom.dk
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 08:18:28 +0100

Hi there Aidan

I just replaced my bushings this weekend, and boy did I have trouble with the
trunnion housing bolt. The problem is, that the bolt in the trunnion housing is
placed in a metalpipe, which again is placed in the nylonbushings. When the bolt
get rusty it grows, and becomes impossible to get out through hammering etc.

Solution:

1: Blowtorch. Melt the bushings. I didn't have a blowtorch, hence

2: Cut the bolts on the inside of vertical link. Then drill lots of small holes
in the bushings. Done this it will be fairly easy to beat out.

Notice that the lower bolt on the vertical link cannot be loosened. On my 1970
MK3 it has been welded to the link.

Most important: don't give up. This took me more than 12 hours.

Nikolaj Blomberg
Spitfire MK3
FD 81 503 L
Copenhagen DK