High Compession? WOAH!

To: "LIST Spitfires egroup" <spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com>,
Subject: High Compession? WOAH!
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 21:14:38 -0400
Just did a comp. test on My 78 Spitfire
...thought my gauge was messed up... tried a second one...
Weber DCOE 45 throttle held wide open, all spark plugs removed

185, 191, 187, 181  DRY!
I was almost afraid to put oil in the cylinders. for a wet comparison.

The PO said this engine had GT6 flat top pistons in it and the head
had been shaved.

QUESTION:
what would it have to have been bored out to..to fit GT6 pistons?

This engine also has a mild?/fast? road cam in it.

..played with the 'air corrector' jets on my DCOE 45. Did manage to get it
idle a bit smoother.

QUESTION:
anyone out there have any info on tweaking the air correctors.
Mine actually has 'nut locked' adjustable jets juting out at an angle
half way down the body.
...any clues?

Paul Tegler
1973 MGBGT - daily driver