Re: rear brake problem 70 Spit

To: KHOCO@aol.com
Subject: Re: rear brake problem 70 Spit
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:38:44 -0400
Have you adjusted the rear brakes using he adjuster on the backing plate of the
rear drum? The shoes could be too far away from the drum. When you apply the
brakes, the shoes move out toward the drum but may not apply full pressure.
Adjust the rear brakes with the wheel off he ground. Spin the wheel until you
feel the resistance of the brakes. You can then back off one detent.

Before you do this you can do a quick check by applying the emergency brake to
the nearly on position. You should have little or no drag at this point. This
will effectively pre-load the shoes close to the drum. Now drive and apply the
brakes. If you get a significant improvement in rear brake performance, then do
the adjustment noted above.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario