Re: Spitfire Tonneau interchangeability

To: Scions of the Spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Tonneau interchangeability
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:26:55 -0400 ()
On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Victor B. Michael wrote:

> Could this be the problem with my hood boot (top cover)?
> The snaps on the body gradually are further from the snaps on the boot.
> I had to fashion an "adapter" at the B-post snaps for them to reach.
> It's basically a small strap of leather with a female snap on one end
> facing inward to snap to the body and one male facing outward to snap to
> the boot cover.
>
> How exactly are they are different? Are the earlier snaps closer
> together?

An owner of a Spitfire 4 or Mk.2 will have to help me out with a more
accurate description. Basically, though, those early cars with the
completely removeable top have fewer snaps (3 per side) around the top
quarter window area) than do the Mk.3 and later cars (4 per side). But the
Mk.3 top is very similar to the later Mk.IV/1500 tops, save for the shape
of the top as it fits around the door glass.

As for the boot covers, again I'd have to compare Mk.3 and 1500 covers
that I have, side-by-side, to see if there is any real difference there. I
don't think so, but I'm not sure.

--Andy