Strange Engine number

To: "spit list" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Strange Engine number
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@toad.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 01:00:47 -0400
Looking over my newest stable mate... my '78 Spit.
I noticed a rather strange engine serial number.
Normally the suffix would be 'C' for California, 'E' for emissions
etc. etc.  What the heck would an 'SS' in the suffix mean?
This engine does have a shaved head and flat top pistons.
Compression is supposedly 9:1. It has a Kent Road cam
and a single Weber 45 DCOE 152.
The head has no air injector ports at all.
On the carb side on top of the head is apart number prefixed 'KC'   ???

Looking closely at the block serial number ... it really does look
like the entire serial number was stamped all at one time.
...either that or someone was MIGHTLY GOOD at adding it to look
original. Problem is the entire number, is perfectly centered
in the area available for stamping so I find it hard to believe someone
was able to add two more characters to the number.

Any ideas?

Would someone ..or is there a standard for someone to have added the SS
for one of these modifications?

Paul Tegler
1973 MGBGT - Daily Driver
1975 Spitfire - in Cherry shape
1980 Spitfire - in re-hab
1978 Spitfire - in Superb Shape!
wizardz@toad.net
http://www.teglerizer.com
(see menu for MG Automobiles  and Triumph Automobiles)