Clutch Diapham Sprigs

To: "Spitfires List" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch Diapham Sprigs
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:38:31 +0100
The clutch went on my car today.  The problem was like there was no travel.

Anyway all the linkage is perfect, no hydrolic problems.
Tryed welding washers onto the MC pushrod fork so I made the ovaled out
linkage round.  This still doesnt give enough travel.  So the last suspect
is the diaphram spring on the new clutch.

The reson it's so bad is because the clutch is new, they always need more
travel when there new.  The release bearing is also new.  The hydrolics are
perfect, the belhousing linkage is perfect, even have a good tolerance ring
in the push arm.

Anyone have experience of faulty diaphram springs on the clutches?  I
noticed this wearing when I did my gearbox, but because I spent all my time
and effort getting this prefect, I did not bother to chainge anything else
on the clutch.  The plate and releace bearing had about 1700 miles on them
when I did the box.

How do I get a replacement, whats the best method, new, secodhand or recon?
I hoped to pop and see John Kippling on Saterday so I was going to pick up
the parts then.  I notice he advertises a 3in1 clutch kit, do these include
that spring?   Or should I get the coverplate does that include the spring?

I noticed that the spring had warn more to one side than the other, i.e.
there was a half moon deap wear mark from the bearing, you could feel it on
the outside very deep and on the inner shalow only one side.

James - Decided my car wanted the day off to watch the eclips, so I garaged
it for punishment!