Re: brakes

To: SLCL914@aol.com
Subject: Re: brakes
From: "Dr. Faustus" <faustus@inconnect.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 17:51:13 -0600 (MDT)
On Mon, 9 Aug 1999 SLCL914@aol.com wrote:
> Yesterday, I started to change out my front brake pads, using the Haynes
> manual as a reference. Well, after I removed the old pads and anti-squeal
> shims, it says that I need to use a large flat blade to push the caliper back
> in to fit the new pads (after removing a bit of brake fluid to allow for
> this). Try as I might, I cannot push the caliper in at all. does anyone know
> a solution to this?
> Many Thanks,
> Stephen LaBonte
> '76 Spitfire 1500 (Monster)
While I haven't had to do this on my Spit yet, I have done it with other
cars.  My prefered method is to remove the caliper.  Then place it on the
floor, place a big screwdriver/prybar across the piston.  Gently kneel
down on the crowbar, it will easily slide back into the caliper.  The
manual for my VW says to clamp a C clamp on  to the piston.

Andy L.
'70 Spit