hot spit engine and transmitter location

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: hot spit engine and transmitter location
From: "Tom Ambrose" <tambrose@tir.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 14:13:14 -0400
Hello all,

My 'almost' new 1500 engine appears to be running very hot. Of course, most
of the engine running time is on jack stands and short trips around the
block. There is only about two hours on this rebuilt engine. I'm waiting for
my insurance, licensing to take effect, and some other sorting out so I can
really take it out on the road :)

I understand that a new engine may run hot for a time, but it's running
hotter lately.
When I ran in the cam for 22 minutes, it never got above 1/2 on temp gauge.
currently, it goes to a little more than 1/2, kicks down a bit, then slowly
goes all the way hot in around 5 to 10 minutes.

My guesses as to the reasons why :

When I ran in the cam, I used a straight pipe off the header (to my
neighbors delight). now I have a single 4" SuperTrap with four disks in
place.

I had the engine built January '97 and ran it a total of 60 minutes in the
Spring on several occasions. Then many expensive things went wrong,
radiator, brakes ,dizzy, battery, etc. It's taken me a couple of years to
replace or repair these items. A few weeks ago, after I changed the 30 wt
oil with 20/50 , I got it started again. BTW, during the initial break-in, I
changed the oil three times.

Several years ago, I replaced the old thermostat with 160 degree one.

I have an old style thermostat housing, that is the temp sender is on the
upper elbow pointing to the left or driver's side of engine.

The heater openings in the housing are blocked off.

The four header pipes run down the entire depth of the engine and hold a
tremendous amount of heat ( I do have some wrap to install).

Well, that's all I can think of: restrictive exhaust, sitting too long,
wrong or evil thermostat, missing heater, and hot header.

Also, the coolant ( 1/2 distilled and 1/2 antifreeze) after draining a bit
from radiator looks clean.

Any thoughts will be appreciated,

Tom