Re: Distributer Advance

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Distributer Advance
From: "Marty Klein" <drzzzz@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 23:57:01 -0500
James,

If the distributor has centrifugal advance weights, you can grind some
weight off of the pivot ends (where they mount on the post), and add some
weight (lead solder works) to the outer ends that swing out with increasing
rpm.  The redistribution of weight will cause them to swing out at a lower
RPM. You can also try lighter return springs on the centrifugal weights.
With a vacuum advance unit, you can try increasing the size of the vacuum
lines and fittings. If the vacuum line comes off the carb, try using a tap
off the intake manifold with the bigger vacuum lines.  A vacuum advance unit
with a larger diaphragm would also produce earlier advance, but may be
harder to find and fit.