RE: cooling system

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: cooling system
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 00:42:39 -0400
I dunno, I like the 'better driving through chemistry' idea, but I think
I'd rather take the thing apart, have the rad boiled, and flush everything
else with a hose first, then try a phos. acid spray in the block only.
 then rinse.  a lot.  since it's that old anyhow, replace all the hoses.  a
low enough concentration acid won't hurt the iron, but don't leave it there
too long.  several commercial kits are designed to clean rust from gas
tanks--they use phos. acid, but most tanks are steel.  won't be a big
difference, but the iron would (in theory) degrade faster.

I think maybe the better thing would be to try a commercial kit for
derusting/descaling your cooling system.  do this _before_ you have your
rad boiled.  the kit would probably be cheaper than getting the acid,
anyway.

and, once you clean the system thoroughly, you might find that the rust was
plugging some holes you didn't know you had.  another reason to take it
apart and give it a good, thorough cleaning.

scott