Camber Compensator Update

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Camber Compensator Update
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 21:12:20 -0700
Today I installed the prototype Camber Compensator on my Mk1 Spit and it
fit as expected.

I attached the bracket to three differentials (Late Spit, Early Spit and
GT6) and found it fits perfectly on all three.

The only thing I found lacking after the first test is the outside
brackets are a bit small in thickness, so I will double the thickness of
the bracket for the first production run (two 12 ga. pieces welded
together) and increase the gauge of the steel that I use for the the
subsequent production runs.

The ones I have work ok but I'd rather err on the side of caution than
have to fix them after the fact.  The center mount is ok and needs no
modification.

I am using Polyurethane bushings for the links between the spring
component and the outside brackets.  That should provide excellent
performance and long life.  Replacement bushings are standard size and
are available off the shelf.

Based on the findings today, I am starting production and will start
shipping units early next week.  I will have shipping weight calculated
tomorrow and will be taking orders after that.  Those of you who have
already expressed a desire to have one of the first production will be
notified either tomorrow or thursday what your shipping cost will be.
And the best news, the project came in where I suspected and I will be
able to meet the $150 cost that I speculated when I began this project.

Bad news is The camber compensator does not work with Monza exhaust, or
any other exhaust system that extends below the differential.  Since it
was designed primarily for racing, that wasn't a concern.  Kas Kastner
suggests the exhaust exit in front of the right wheel opening.  But I
suspect that mufflers can be made to work with a little creative
tinkering.

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer