Re: RPM to MPH Question

To: Tom Ambrose <tambrose@tir.com>
Subject: Re: RPM to MPH Question
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 17:52:33 -0700

Tom Ambrose wrote:

> Why on earth does Tom want know? Because he is contemplating three different
> diffy ratios: 4.11, 3.89 (no surprise yet), and a 3.29 for his spitter. This
> must be a slow night.
>
> BTW, thanks for all the replies. There are some serious math folks out
> there. Well, mostly  ;)

Tom,
Here are a few observations I have made on my own Spit with a 1500
engine.

1. With the 4.11 that I originally had, the Spit got away like a rocket,
but suffered badly on the top end.

2. With the 3.89 that I went to, it still had quite a bit of get away
but not as good as the 4.11.

3. With the 3.89 top speed improved but I was uncomfortable driving for
long periods on the freeway at 70+ mph.  I don't like to see that tach
sit that high.

4. After adding the Overdrive Tranny, and watching the revs drop by 800
rpm when I kick the OD in, I am quite satisfied with the overall
performance of the gearing.

Although I have nothing to back up my feeling, I think the 3.29 might
suffer too much in the lower end to satisfy you.  After all, one of the
most enjoyable thing about driving a Spit is the ability to get away
quickly.

Joe

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer