spit driveshaft woes

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: spit driveshaft woes
From: "Tom Ambrose" <tambrose@tir.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:08:32 -0400
I've had this overheading problem the past few days, so I thought I might
put the Spit on jackstands and check out some potentials: binding rear
brakes, change coolant, replace cap, recheck timing, maybe put in one of my
spare radiators.

I put the car back on jackstands. This car has been on jackstands for three
years until last week when I finally drove it  up and down the street a few
times. I did hear a ticking sound, but...

Well, I started it to watch the heat go up and check out the cooling. I put
the car into gear (third, hadn't seen third in a few years) and BANG, BANG,
BANG. The driveshaft was hitting the frame-big time.

The driveshaft, to my untrained eye seems to be sitting a mite low in the
tunnel. I wonder, sitting jackstand for all those years, or maybe, new
tranny mounts are in order or...

What do you think? My trials with  this (these) Spits  remind me of the
Three Stooges. "Step by step, slowly I..."

Tom ( I'll asking about the overheating in my next post)
VTR ever?