Re: Propshaft query.

To: Gary Tash <tashg@bmi.net>
Subject: Re: Propshaft query.
From: Nick Moseley <nmoseley@comsavings.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 21:06:55 -0700
Never done anything to mine. I recall several messages on the list in the
past that basically said to leave it alone unless it was causing a problem,
and that if it was defective, that to get a used propshaft with a
functioning joint (you know what I mean, lets let that one go by) was the
best alternative.
Perhaps one of the original posters with experience would care to comment?

Nick Moseley,
(no personal experience of that problem, but living vicariously on the list)

At 07:23 PM 7/27/99 -0700, Gary Tash wrote:

>I don't know about this CV joint but the CVs on the usual front engine half
>shafts auto tend to go really bad if they loose lubrication or get water and
>dirt in.  However, being conservative I have thoroughly cleaned, repacked,
and
>almost completely silenced 2 or 3 very noisy CVs.  Depends on how much wear.
>
>Paul McMullen wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Took the bodyshell off the chassis of my '81 reg 1500 last weekend, took
>> five of us to lift it off! Me, her indoors and the three teenage sprogs.
>> It's now sat on the front lawn under a car cover where it'll probably
remain
>> for quite a while.
>>
>> I started cleaning down the chassis and noticed the propshaft was different
>> to my old Mk IV's which had u.j.'s at both ends. This has a u.j. at the
>> diff' end and a 'black pot' at the gearbox end, so I took it off to examine
>> it further.
>>
>> The  pot has a rubber cover where it fits to the propshaft and moves up and
>> down a couple of inches. Inside the flange was a metal cap which had a
>> grease nipple just off centre which promptly fell off as the threads were
>> stripped. There wasn't any grease left inside by the looks of it but there
>> was plenty on the chassis round that area.
>>
>> I don't think it is the original propshaft as it has a large splodge of
>> yellow paint on it which in this country usually means it came from a
>> scrapyard.
>>
>> Now the questions:
>> Is this a CV joint propshaft?
>> Should it be fitted to a late model, non-overdrive, 1500?
>> Given that there probably should be grease inside can I put a new grease
>> nipple on and refill it?
>> Was this what was banging when I first drove the car home, given that all
>> the u.j.'s, trunnions and bearings seem sound?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Paul

----
Nick Moseley