Re: ROBSON - page 10, August 99 Triumph World

To: jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: ROBSON - page 10, August 99 Triumph World
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:00:00 -0700
John (et al),
Seems to me that Graham has successfully stirred up a hornet's nest, as
journalists are apt to do occasionally.  The end result (I'm sure) will
be increased readership of Triumph World for at least this issue.  I
personally am curious to see what he said that caused such a reaction.

But maybe that was his intent.  I'm sure the publisher will be laughing
all the way to the bank.

Regards,
Joe Curry

jonmac wrote:

> Listers of Diverse Triumph Lists
> I apologise in advance for excess bandwidth - but this is important for
> Triumph enthusiasts the world over. The August issue of Triumph World may
> yet not have hit your newsstands. In that event, the following article I
> have written for a UK Triumph Club magazine may be premature for those of
> you who have not yet been able to study your copy of TW. All that
> notwithstanding, the general contents of Graham Robson's bi-monthly column
> have stirred up a hornet's nest in the UK. Those of us on this side of the
> pond are both greatly angered and disturbed at his outspoken and what we see
> as a grossly inaccurate and unfairly biased report. Furthermore, it is my
> understanding that a number of us have written to the Editor of Triumph
> World expressing our considerable displeasure at the tripe which has been
> served up in the name of 'informed opinion' and which, as consumers, we have
> had to pay money to read. If you are of the same view, having read what
> Robson had to say, I urge you to submit your own opinions to me off list. I
> am more than willing to consolidate these replies - whether submitted
> anonymously or not - and mail them to the owner of the company responsible
> for the printing and global circulation of Triumph World. It goes without
> saying that I will be happy to relay those responses to these lists at a
> later date.
>
> Jonmac
>
> Did you read 'Robson' In the August issue of Triumph World? Wasn't he in a
> grouchy mood?
> I think he'd plonked himself down at his keyboard with the biggest wooden
> spoon he could find - and this was probably after getting out of bed that
> morning via the equivalent of a bomb-proof blockhouse on the Atlantic Wall -
> without a hard hat. Then he had a good old bellyache - and Uncle Tone
> printed what he wrote.
> Robson moaned endlessly about how Gaydon had forgotten this year was the
> 40th Anniversary of the Herald, and castigated the Centre for preferring to
> celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the Mini. I feel certain there will be
> many former Standard Triumph employees will be first in the queue in support
> of the Mini.
> Then, Robson had a go at all the Triumph enthusiasts throughout Europe who,
> in his opinion, should have gone to STER (Standard Triumph European Rally) -
> but didn't.
> Then it was back to more 'Gaydon Bashing'.
> In his article "Time to speak up for Triumph," this 'high profile' Triumph
> commentator speculated on a meeting which he alleges took place at the
> Heritage Motor Centre - and which seemingly he did not attend himself. We
> can therefore only conclude he based his resulting article on hearsay.
> Not a sensible thing to do, especially if what you report is likely to be
> published and a financial consideration may be in the offing as well?
> [...]

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer