Re: HELP!! Tranny tunnel cover problem!

To: Brad Kahler <bkahler@omc.ja.dtra.mil>, spitfires@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: HELP!! Tranny tunnel cover problem!
From: Phil Johnson <gt6_man@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 23:48:07 +0100 (BST)
Brad,

When the guy says cut back the tranny tunnel housing,
does he mean the cardboard cover or the actual
transmission tunnel in the floor pan?

--- Brad Kahler <bkahler@omc.ja.dtra.mil> wrote:

> Listers,
>
> The person installing my replacement tranny/OD in my
> Spitfire4 mk1 has
> come up with a slight problem.  First some
> background info.  The car is
> pretty much totally stock.  I'm having the original
> tranny pulled out
> and a rebuilt MkIV 3-rail tranny with D type
> overdrive installed in its
> place.  I got a message from the guy doing the work
> that said the tranny
> tunnel housing (original from a 71 spitfire) would
> have to be "cut back"
> 2" to make it fit. AT this point I'm not real sure
> what he means but I
> will be talking with him later today but thought I
> would query the list
> and see if anyone has run into this problem before.
> I've got all the
> right components for the change over but this one
> kind of caught me by
> surprise.  Was there a change in the tunnel housings
> due to the change
> in the 3-rail from non 1st gear syncro to full
> syncro?
>
> Any help would be greatly apprecited.

If it is the latter, then yes, he might well have to
cut it back a couple of inches in order to fit the
gearbox & O/D unit, and to be able to do up the
propshaft flange bolts. It is a tight fit otherwise as
I found when I converted mine, although I did not cut
up the trans tunnel on the Spitfire, but had to on the
GT6. You might need to fabricate a cover plate so that
the rear of the gearbox cover can seal. As it is all
under carpet, you won't see it anyway.

===
Phil Johnson
Club Triumph (UK) Spitfire/GT6 Secretary
http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/

66 Spitfire4 Mk2 FC73949
68 GT6 Mk1 KC13299