Re: Travel Routes To East Coast

To: LARRY ELSWICK <sos@kymtnnet.org>,
Subject: Re: Travel Routes To East Coast
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 08:19:49 -0400
At 08:24 PM 7/7/99 -0400, LARRY ELSWICK wrote:

>My wife and I are planning a trip to the
>coast of North Carolina and back home to
>Kentucky in our Spit ; hopefully the first week of
>August. We would like  to return through southern
>Virginia. Would anyone out there care to suggest
>some scenic routes off the beaten path and interstates?
>Thanks!

Hi Larry,

Go to your local library & see if they have the January 98 issue of Car &
Driver. Included is a listing of the "10 Best Roads of the Southeast".

I travelled State Route 42 in VA and some of the "ladder routes" in
southwest NC last year, and I've gotta say they were as fun to drive as
advertised.  The mountains are wonderful, the driving is divine (see the
thread What is Joy!) There are some good roads in SE Kentucky listed as well.

What my bride and I like to do when 'touring' is to pick a couple points or
attractions on a roadmap, draw a line between them, and follow the most
direct route, stopping at several of the hamlets along the way.  There are
always interesting things to see and do.

Don't forget to pack your cell phone & AAA card...  :)

Sounds as if your mixture problems have been resolved?  Hope you are
enjoying your Spitfire.

Cheers,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire