Re: Spit Trip

To: james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit Trip
From: ScottBarr8@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 23:16:15 EDT
james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk writes:

<<  At 120 miles a journey it's the longest run I have
 done.  Just wondering what problems I might encounter on such a trip.  It's
 half duel carriage way, and half 'A' roads.  I'm camping, so theirs little
 room for tools, so what on my kit should I take. >>

Hi James,

I just ran the GT6 on its first long trip of the year (about 1,200 miles
total, Wisconsin to Ohio and back), with camping gear stowed, so I know what
you're talking about.

Most important items in the kit -- cell phone and AAA card.  Ok, Ok, I took a
small toolkit as well:  2 ea. 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 comb. wrenches; similar sockets
and ratchet; adjustable wrench;  small vice-grip; needle-nose and regular
pliers; selection of screwdrivers; wire and connectors and strip/crimp tool;
fistful of various appropriate fasteners; massive quantities of duct tape,
spit and bailing wire; spare long plug wire or two; spare cap, rotor, points,
condenser; spare belt.  Several gallons of 20W50 Castrol and other vital
fluids (such as Vodka).  Reliable mechanic.

But really, that stuff is all along just to make me feel better.  Most any
problem that would require those things would be the sort of thing that would
be tough to fix at the side of the road.  Maybe the most useful thing would
be a laptop, with the ability to check the VTR list of available help from
local Triumph owners.

Scott
ScottBarr8@aol.com