Re: Gearbox interchangability

To: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>
Subject: Re: Gearbox interchangability
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 08:50:55 -0700
Bill,
Having only recently gone through an upgrade myself, I know first hand
what you can go through.

My opinion is that obtaining a complete working overdrive transmission
is the easiest and probably least expensive way to go.  And if you have
the space and time, it would be best to buy a whole car with overdrive
and part it out.  Very often you can sell the good pieces on the car fro
more than you paid for the whole thing.  And have the pieces you want
free.  With an overdrive transplant, that last issue is particularly
important because there is a list of things you will need:

1. The Tranny/OD unit (including the hollow lever and switch/knob)
2. The Mounting Plate for the frame
3. The rubber impregnated mount that secures the rear of the OD to the
plate.
4. The longer drive shaft.
5. Wiring harness
6. (on 3-rail trannies) A Relay
7. In most cases a longer speedometer cable
8. The angle drive to connect the speedometer cable to the OD unit.
9. If you are changing from a 3-rail to single rail tranny (or vice
versa) you will need a different clutch disk,

I've probably forgotten something but at least those are the main parts.

Installation is not particularly difficult and is done through the
passenger compartment.  This is a good time to install things like sound
and heat resistant carpet pads.  (That has been a real blessing down
here in Arizona)

Good Luck,
Joe Curry

Bill Gunshannon wrote:

> I have found this od/non-od discussion to be very interesting.  My
> Spitfire is of the non-od variety.  Being as I plan to drive this car
> rather than just show it, Overdrive would be a big plus.  So, how
> practical is it to change my Spitfire to an Overdrive model??
> What would I have to do?  Obviously get an overdrive unit and a new
> propshaft.  What about transmissions??  Do I have to find a transmission
> that was made for overdrive or is it likely that I can just mount the
> od unit on the one I have??  Is this likely to be so expensive as to
> be not worth the effort??
>
> bill
>
> --
> Bill Gunshannon          |  de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n.  Three wolves
> bill@cs.uofs.edu         |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
> University of Scranton   |
> Scranton, Pennsylvania   |         #include <std.disclaimer.h>

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer