Re: Gearbox OD or not OD, that is the question

To: "Peter S." <alfapete@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Gearbox OD or not OD, that is the question
From: Bill Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:46:50 +0100
Peter,
        The final drive retains the same ratio, the overdrive steps down the
gearbox output by around 20% (depending on the spec of the overdrive
fitted), so 1:1 non o/d becomes 0.8:1 in overdrive.
        Cheers,
                Bill.

Peter S. wrote:

> What?!
> Surely there is a difference or nobody would bother the conversion.  I'm
> looking for something like 4th gear is 1:1 and with OD on its 1:.85
> Otherwise its not an OD at all - meaning the engine is turning slower than
> the prop shaft speed.
> Peter S

                            This Message sent by:
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupé Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Coupé
\________________________/  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
 | |                  | |   1973 Spitfire MkIV
 |_|                  |_|   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup