Blanking off choke doubles idle, meaning ?...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net (post)
Subject: Blanking off choke doubles idle, meaning ?...
From: John Weale <tyre@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:53:39 -0700 (PDT)
        In my quest for a smog certificate, I blanked off the water
controlled choke in my Spit (using some gasket material, though I was
sorely tempted to use a bit of beer can just for the heck 'uv it).  Now
the idle is around 2400 rather than the 1100 it started at. I adjusted it
down via the throttle speed screw, but am concerned that I screwed
something up.  When removing the water choke, I did not hold the throttle
plate open as the manual (dug out after I did it of course) instructs.
Any idea why it says to do this?  Is it reasonable to hope that the choke
was stuck open and blanking it off simply fixed the mixture (it did fail
smog due to high CO and HC's perhaps this contributed?)(hey, I can dream
:), raising the RPM's?  Is blanking off all the holes between the carb and
water choke OK (I assume so, but that's gotten me into trouble before)?

Thanks for any advice!

John Weale
1980 "British Racing Orange" Spitfire

---======================== John Weale(tyre@u.washington.edu) ==========---
The world does revolve around engineers... they pick the coordinate system.