Re: My Spitfire restoration project

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My Spitfire restoration project
From: "Kirby T. Kenyon" <ktkenyon@borg.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 15:53:52 -0400
I had a VW pickup truck with electric fuel pump.  They used the electrical
signal from the coil to refire a timer to keep a relay energized.  If the
engine quit, the relay would drop out because the timer was not restarted,
something like 1/2 second or so as I recall.

Your idea sounds like an equally clever and safe way to do it.

At 03:19 PM 6/3/99 -0400, Kevin B. Rhodes wrote:

>Great idea on that second oil pressure switch controlling the fuel pump! I
>think I will do that with Freddy. Can you do a little article on the
>specifics of how you did it - part locations, wire colours that sort of
thing.

>Kevin Rhodes
>Freddy the Spit.
>

>At 11:43 6/3/99 -0700, Huw Upshall wrote:
>
>>Well, For those of you who have been keeping up on my attempt to restore
>>my spit, I have some great news.  Last night I finally finished hooking up
>>all the hoses and I turned the ignition... (w/ fire extinguisher
>>nearby)... Hey, It started right up!  Sounds GREAT!  Granted, the timing
>>is a little off, but hey, i'll fix that no problem.  So, here is one more
>>spit resurected from the dead.
>>
>>This car has:
>>
>>NAPA fuel pump installed in the trunk
>>
>>WEBER DGAV carb
>>
>>Air pump removed, carbon canisters removed.
>>
>>Mechanical pump removed and a plate w/ 1/2" tube installed
>>
>>Breather hose from plate to intake manifold
>>
>>Fuel vapor return line vented to intake manifold
>>
>>Second oil pressure switch installed to control fuel pump.  What I did was
>>take the twelve volt high when the ignition is on start (from he starter
>>solenoid) to the new switch, I also ran twelve volts when the ignition is
>>on run to the switch.  When the car is started, the fuel pump first gets
>>12 volts from the start position, when the car is running, it is getting
>>12 volts from the run position.  If the oil pressure ever drops below
>>4psi, the new oil switch cuts off the power so if there is an accident and
>>the ignition is still on run, if the engine isn't running, no fuel is
>>pumped!
>>
>>Hopefully I'll have this car on the road in the next month.
>>
>>http://www.wolfenet.com/~hupshall/car/fm70893u

Kirby T. Kenyon
ktkenyon@notnow.com