Re: Got Spitfire home

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, Metallian6@aol.com
Subject: Re: Got Spitfire home
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougbert@rcn.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 14:30:54 -0500
You could examine the needle to see if it is worn.  Generally they are not
replaced,
since every model car seems to use a different one.

My advice:  If you cannot figure out how to get the ZS to run well,
you should not start messing with Webers.  On the ZS carb, you chould check
the damper oil (easy) and the condition of the diaphragm (almost as easy).
If it idles OK, the carb needle adjustment is probably OK.  Do not assume
that the ignition timing and vacuum advance are OK; check them, too.

About the lights:  The Spit wiring uses a lot of these 4-way female bullet
connectors (black rubber, about an inch long).  The metal inside loves to
fall apart for some reason.  TRF (and maybe others) carry them, and they are
cheap, under a buck.  (TRF part number LUCWB301).  Order a half dozen or so.
I already have found three bad ones in my car, and I haven't been looking very
hard.
The power for the tail lights has to pass through about 4 of these, so the odds
of there being a flaky connection somewhere are very high.

When I got my car, I found that it had a 7-ampere fuse in one position, which
was way too small.  Make sure they are the right size.

Good luck,

Doug
'72 Spit