Re: Gear Grinding

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gear Grinding
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 12:21:33 EDT
In a message dated 5/23/99 4:36:26 PM EST, neil.mcallister@fvrl.bc.ca writes:

>  Spent today on a long cruise in the hills and upon returning home had an
> unpleasant
>  amount of gear grinding when stopped and attempting either first or
reverse.
>   The car was fairly hot (guage just over half way).  No sign of this when
> cold.
>
>  I know there've been a few threads about this, so apologies for bringing it
>  up again, but, is the most likely culprit the dreaded thrust bearing I
> recall,
>  and, how do I check it?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Neil
>  1980 Spitfire 1500 (Emma Peel)

There is an article on the VTR web page maintenance page on checking thrust
washer float on a TR6, same principles should apply to a spit.  Since VTR
seems
to be currently down, the short version is:  engine off.  Push the crankshaft
pulley
as far back as possible.  Watch the pulley while someone pushes the clutch
in.
If it moves back out more than specs (described as the thickness of a
fingernail),
the thrust washers are shot.  If it REALLY moves, the thrust washers are
sitting in the oil pan.

Personally, I'm paranoid about the thrust washers, having already "lunched"
one
engine block to them.  They cost $6.50 and can be changed in about an hour so
if in any doubt...

FWIW, I would think that the thrust washers would cause a shifting problem all
the time, not just hot and would also look elsewhere.  Good luck!

-Greg