Re: Lack of Power

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lack of Power
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 10:29:59 EDT
In a message dated 5/14/99 3:51:10 AM EST, DWARE@uk.ibm.com writes:

>  My Spit starts fine from cold in the mornings, just a little choke needed
>  but for
>  the first couple of miles of running I have the problem that whenever I put
>  my
>  foot down to accelerate from idling (e.g. when pulling out of junctions) I
>  get
>  nothing and can only slowly move off, then in a couple of seconds the
>  _power_
>  kicks in and everything is okay again. Once the car has warmed up a little
>  everything seems fine. This can obviously be quite worrying when you are
>  pulling out across a busy road with cars coming at you from all directions.
>
>  My Spit is a 1977 1500, UK spec with twin SU carbs. It has the Waxstat
>  (sp?)
>  jets, I've heard that these can cause problems, could they be the culprits?
>  I've adjusted the mixture and balancing and I believe those to be okay.
>
>  Any advice will be gratefully received,
>
>  David Ware

I have the same behavior with my federal 78 with a retrofitted manual choke.
It
requires less choke for starting and cruising, but full choke for pulling
from low
revs when cold.  I just assumed that this was normal and have learned to give
the choke a quick tug to squirt across busy intersections until the engine
warms
up.

Is this normal?  What is the list consensus? TIA!

Greg