Re: Wooden dash refinishing

To: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Subject: Re: Wooden dash refinishing
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 09:40:45 -0700
Reid,
The answer to your why question is that plywood (especially marine
grade) is much more apt to retain its shape when exposed to the great
outdoors, as Spitfire dashboards are prone to be.  The layers are laid
in opposing directions and thus keep the warpage at a minimum because
each ply tends to counter the stress of the adjacent ones.  On solid
wood, the grain plays an important roll in how the wood will adapt to
moisture and the sun.  Woods that have a tight grain (like mahogany)
won't tend to warp as bad, but others such as maple, walnut, etc. have
distinct grain patterns and warpage and contraction will follow those
lines leading to the wood checking or cracking over time.

So, If you intend to use a solid piece, select the pieces very carefully
to have as straight and tight of a grain as possible.  And finish it on
both sides to keep moisture from attacking the wood from the back.

Good Luck!

Joe

"Simmons, Reid W" wrote:

> Question:  Why use veneer at all?  I plan to use a single piece of solid
> hardwood.  The existing dash panels can be used as templates to lay out the
> three piece pattern, and then careful, patient use of a jig saw and drill
> should produce excellent results.  Add to that some hand rubbing and a
> quality finish, and you'll make the Rolls Royce and Jag owners jealous.  The
> only "hard" part I suppose is deciding which hardwood to use... Teak, Burl,
> Walnut, ...
>
> Reid
> '79 Spitfire

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer