Re: Carb Damper

To: "LARRY ELSWICK" <sos@kymtnnet.org>,
Subject: Re: Carb Damper
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 23:11:25 -0400
the oil acts as a dampener to slow the speed at which
the main air pot rises... at the minimum....for two reasons

1) when you suddenly open the throttle, you want the mixture
slightly rich. The oil will slow the rising of the pot, restricting
the airflow volume, and at the same time create greater vacuum
pressure on the gas being sucked up from around the needle.

2) if you've ever watched a vacuum gauge on your manifold,
you'd see how quickly the vac. can rise or fall from near zero
to 21-26 in/Hg. This rapid change can actually can slam the pot up
or down (depending on throttle action) this rapid change would (does)
not accurately control flow of either air or the gas. You go from
excessively
rich to excessively lean almost instantaneously. This will lead to
wide temperature swings, and the sudden temperature rise is (among
others) one of the common causes of burned spark plugs and valve problems.