Re: Back axle and brakes...

To: "spitfires@Autox.Team.Net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Back axle and brakes...
From: richard jackson <richard.jackson@northampton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 11:44:23 +0100

Morning,

> Have started removing and renovating the back axle of Reg the 1500...
> After drilling out too many nuts to mention I have a few questions to
> ask...
>     1) How can the rear brakes work when the rear wheel cylinder
> apparently only acts on one shoe?

It doesn't, the cylinder is supposed to slide in the opposite direction of
the piston's 'push', so as to provide movement of the other shoe aswell,
although I don't think it works all 'that' good!!!

>      Is the rest achieved by telekinsis?
>     2) The hydraulic lines to the rear brakes seems to take a strange
> route compared to that in the works manual. The flexible hose connects
> from a bracket on the rear of the rear cross-member to a bracket on the
> rear of drum-brake back plate. A solid pipe then connects this to the
> slave cylinder taking the longest possible route around the back of the
> drum brake. The manual seems to show a direct connection between the
> flexible hose and slave... Which is right?

Yep, the short driveshaft spit's had the direct connection, whereas the
late MkIV and 1500's had the long route type.

>     3) If I don't want to have a repeat of the trouble undoing corroded
> nuts is there an antisieze compound I can use on the brake connections
> safetly?

Well don't quote me, but what I have done in the paste is, fit the brake
union in the cylinder, turn it a few threads, then apply a small amount of
copper slip, then fully tighten.  Don't know whether it works as I don't
think I've yet had to remove any cylinders since I've been doing this.

Cheers

Rich