Re: Wheels (was: FAQ)

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Wheels (was: FAQ)
From: Jari Tabell <jari.tabell@pp.inet.fi>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 08:58:23 -0800
Andrew Mace wrote:

... snap

> Whatever mention Haynes manuals might make of a 4" wheel is incorrect for
> the Spitfire range. And all of the above information is for normal
> "as-delivered" or "factory optional" wheels, not any dealer-installed or
> other aftermarket wheels. I know that there were solid disk wheels as
> wide as 5.5", but I don't know if these were even "catalogued" options
> for the Spitfire. Anyone?
>
> --Andy

Spitfire FIA homologation sheet No. 165 (1964) has amendment which
specifies 5.5" wheels as an optional equipment and gives a part number:
307400. This amendment is dated 1/2/1965.

It doesn't say if they are cast or pressed.

The basic homologation specifies 3.5" or 4.5" rim width and there is an
option which says: "Light alloy road wheels - 4 1/2 rim (114.1 mm) x 13"
- weight 3.6 kgs". No part No. however

Jari
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jtabell
http://personal.inet.fi/cool/hrf