Re: Herald questions

To: dano <dorie@stetson.edu>
Subject: Re: Herald questions
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:16:25 -0500 ()
On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, dano wrote:

> ...On my 67 Herald...on the bottom of the
> diff. is bolted a cover or something that more resembles a skid plate with
> a hole in the bottom. It almost looks like this would catch and drain some
> fluid if you were to loosen the cover on the front of the diff. Is this the
> method for draining it?

No. Earlier diffs did have a drain plug, though. On the later ones, you
need to "suck" out the oil with a suction gun. As for the "skid plate":
this sounds as if it might be the remnants of a camber compensator mount?
If you can describe it in a bit more detail, I can be more sure.

> Also, I've gotten rid of the side mount spark plug wire dist. cap, so I
> need to replace the coil with the screw in distributor lead.  Is this coil
> specific to the Herald/Spitfire range, or is there some sort of universal
> replacement?

Basically, any 12v coil should work just fine. Or simply adapt the
screw-in setup to the coil lead for your new cap!

--Andy