How much is a GT6 worth

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: How much is a GT6 worth
From: Marcus Schaper <schaper@wam.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 23:47:45 -0400 (EDT)
Hi folks,

I am fairly new to this list. Just moved to D.C. from Germany. I have some
Spitfire experience from back home (complete restauration of a 71 MKIV and a
67 MKIII daily driver). I am now in the market searching for a nice Spit or
GT6. However, I have no idea about American price levels other than that
they are lower than German. So, I need your help estimating a car I am
looking into:

72 GT6, no OD, Rotoflex rearend, decent body (needs driver's side floor
panel and a small hole in a rocker panel fixed), good doors and bonnet, new
interior, fair chrome, working mechanics (most of it seems to be original),
no extras, rebuild engine (whatever that really means), 2nd gear crunches a
bit. Needs paint.

Does $2100 sound O.K. ?

Also, what performance upgrades seem recommendable for a daily driver GT6?

- Weber carbs? If so, which (40, 42 or 45 DCOE)? Double or triple?

- Header? Who supplies headers that not only look good, but really increase
performance?

- Freeflow exhaust? If so, what diameter? 2" or 2.5"? Just one box or a rear
box and an inline box up front?

- Hot cam? Does it help any without increasing the compression? I don't want
to rebuild the engine at this point.

Marcus

68 GT6 (boxed up in my basement)
72 GT6 (maybe soon)