Spitfire performance / Engine swaps

To: <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire performance / Engine swaps
From: "Ron and Angie" <nottingham@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 20:41:01 -0400
Q: How do you make a fast Spitfire?

A: Push it out of a C-130 at 30,000 feet.   ;-)

IMHO, considering the technology used in the 1500 engine, 140 "streetable"
normally aspirated, non-nitrous horsepower is not possible.  The math is
just not there.  Now, if you have dyno slips showing 140 bhp at a streetable
RPM, I (as with the rest of the list) would love to see them.  Being
streetable, peak torque needs to be produced at or below 3500 RPM, anything
higher will push peak horsepower up to an unusable range (above 6500 RPM).

Now on to engine swaps.  My favorite would be a Japan spec Nissan SR20DET
into a Spitfire.  For you non-Nissan types, the SR20DET is the same engine
internally as the Sentra/200SX SE-R, except it is longitudinal, not
transverse, and is turbocharged.  Now for a no-holds barred swap, it would
have to be a Japan spec Nissan SR28DETT, which is a 2.8L DOHC Twin Turbo
inline-6, which spins out 280 HP, which is the government regulated
horsepower max.

Ron and Angie - Dalton, Ga
84 300ZX Turbo       77 Spitfire      92 Tempo GLS
"I have a tendancy to wear my mind on my sleeve.....
 I have a history of losing my shirt" - Bare Naked Ladies