Re: Tail-light woes

To: ctp@dreamland.dicksonstreet.com, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tail-light woes
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 23:10:21 EDT
In a message dated 98-10-18 21:57:34 EDT, ctp@dreamland.dicksonstreet.com
writes:

> Basically I don't have any running lights, the brake lights
>  work fine but when the headlights are on I have no running lights. I assume
>  that the brakes should light up one filament and turning the headlights on
>  should light up the other. I don't believe I have any bad connections as I
>  can reverse the wires coming in to the taillights and the brakelight still
>  works. Any ideas? suggestions?

Tim,

Coming out of your headlight switch is a reg/green wire, which goes to a fuse
for the parking (running) lights. Out of this fuse, there are one or more red
wires that feed the parking lights. Somewhere in these red wires is a bad
connection. Start at the lights that don't work, and use a test light or a
multimeter to trace your way back to the fuse. Somewhere along the way you
will find either a broken wire or a connector with 12 volts on the fuse side,
and zero volts on the light side. There will be the problem.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/index.html
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74