SEAT FRAMES

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SEAT FRAMES
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 13:17:26
Hello all,  I was just driving around at lunch and happened to see a
Triumph Herald for sale at a Car Lot, I will have to go check it out later,
looked pretty good.

What I am really writing about is I took the covers off of my seats Monday
night to prepare them for repair.  To my surprise the seat cushions were
not in that bad of shape (except the headrests which had dissolved).  What
I found was that the wire frame underneath had cut into the cushions ( I
assume that is what the original pressed board was supposed to prevent).
As I finished tearing the seat apart, I found that the wire frame is
totally rusted to the point of where is almost doesn't exist anymore.  (
and i wondered why I was sitting on the floor).  I have not seen these for
sale anywhere, has anyone else?  My intention at this point is to find some
suitable gauge wire, a hammer, anvil, and a MIG Welder using my old one as
a pattern and create a new one.  This doesn't seem as if it should be too
aweful hard, has anybody else ever done this.

Also what was the burlap for between the pressed board and the cushion, and
why did Triumph like using pressed board for EVERYTHING!
Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire
Jacksonville FL